Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Psalm 101

Psa 101:1 A Psalm of David. I will sing of mercy and judgment; to You, O Jehovah, I will sing praise.
Psa 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when will You come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart.
Psa 101:3 I will set no wicked thing before my eyes. I have hated the work of those who turn aside; it shall not hold on to me.
Psa 101:4 A perverse heart will depart from me; I will not know the wicked.
Psa 101:5 Whoever secretly slanders his neighbor, I will cut him off; him who has a high look and a proud heart, I will not allow.
Psa 101:6 My eyes shall be on the faithful of the land, so that they may dwell with me; he who walks in a perfect way, he shall serve Me.
Psa 101:7 He who works falsely shall not dwell within my house; he who tells lies shall not stay in my sight.
Psa 101:8 I will early destroy all the wicked of the land, so that I may cut off all wicked doers from the city of Jehovah.


How better to praise God than to behave in a way that would be pleasing to Him?

101:3 I will set no wicked thing before my eyes.
101:4 I will not know the wicked.
101:6 My eyes shall be on the faithful.
101:7 He who tells lies shall not stay in my sight.

These verses makes me think of Philipians 4:8
Finally, my brothers, whatever things are true, whatever things are honest, whatever things are right, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there is any virtue and if there is any praise, think on these things.

101:2 We are to behave ourselves “wisely” and “perfectly”. This means with prudence, wisdom, sincerity and integrity. To do the best we can.

Those who have “turn[ed] aside” in verse 3 means to be derelict, specifically in terms of idolatry. We are to hate idolatry and not allow it to hold on to us. The “perverse heart” is one that is distorted or false.

We are not to associate with one who “secretly slanders” his neighbor. That is gossip. A “high look” and “proud heart” refer to those who are arrogant and feel self important. We should not allow ourselves to get involved with this type of person. Our eyes should be on the “faithful” person – steadfast, faithful, sure, and dependable. These are the people we should associate with.

Note that there are two “wicked”s in verse 8. It is interesting to note that the first “wicked” actually means a condemned or ungodly person. The second “wicked” means evil, false, or unrighteous, with an emphasis on idolatry.

Associate with the good.

Stay away from the bad.

Focus on what is right and Godly.

Avoid idolatry.

What better way is there to worship the one true God?

===

FP adds the following commentary:

A proud heart sometimes tries to solve everything on its own without the help of the Lord. Pride in workmanship is fine. A false and haughty pride that says "I do not need you God" is what can get a man in trouble.

There is a way that seems right to a man, but the end thereof is.....death.

The secular world sees the Christian as a fool. The Christian becomes mocked and hated. This is what Jesus told us would happen if we followed Him. It is hard to lose Self and become a Servant. Jesus said that the greatest in the Kindgom is the Servant of All. Kind of Like Mother Theresa as an example.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and strength.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home